These toasted coconut topped treats are a great treat to make for any occasion. They are simple, but do take significant chilling time before cutting, so keep that in mind. They are a tangy bit of goodness!
Unfortunately my camera battery died just as I was about to begin, so I haven’t any pictures of the method, but I do have some of assembly and of course the finished product!
The recipe is below, but I will give the highlights.
Begin by lining a 9″ square pan with parchment paper.
Assemble the graham cracker crust by melting 6 tbsp butter. After butter is melted add 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs and 2 1/2 tbsp butter. Stir to combine. Spread 1 cup of crumb mixture into prepared pan. Tamping down firmly. Bake at 350 degrees for 9 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
For the filling, add 3 egg yolks to the bowl of an electric mixer. Using whisk attachment, beat on medium-high speed until lightened in color and slightly thickened, approximately 4 minutes. Add 1 can sweetened condensed milk and continue beating with whisk attachment for 4 to 5 minutes. Lower speed to medium-low and add 1/2 cup Key lime juice and 2 tsp grated lime zest. Mix well to incorporate.
Pour 1 cup of filling over the baked graham cracker crust and spread carefully with an off set spatula. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit for a minute or two. Carefully sprinkle remaining crumbs over filling and again tamp down gently. Return pan to oven and bake an additional 9 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 2 to 3 minutes. Spread remaining filling over top of crust and gently spread to cover. Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
Finally, after removing from the oven for the final time allow to rest for 2 or three minutes and then add half of the 3/4 cups toasted coconut and gently press into filling. Sprinkle remaining toasted coconut over the top and place in refridgerator for 4 to 5 hours before cutting.
When it is time to cut the squares simply lift them out of the pan by gripping the parchment paper and lifting out. Peel parchment from edges and cut into 25 squares.
Tune in tomorrow for Chocolate Cream Pie!
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 3 egg yolks, large
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice
- 2 tsp freshly grated lime zest
- 3/4 cup sweetened coconut, toasted
- Line a 9″ square baking pan with parchment paper, being sure to get into corners firmly.
- Add graham cracker crumbs and sugar to melted butter and stir to combine
- Press 1 cup of the crumb mixture into the prepared pan, pressing firmly into pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Prepare filling
- In the bowl of electric mixer, using whisk attachment, beat egg yolks until lightened in color, approximately 4 minutes
- Add sweetened condensed milk and continue beating with whisk attachment for 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium low and add lime juice and rind. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Remove crust from oven and allow to rest for a few mintues.
- Spread 1 cup filling over top of baked crust and spread with off set spatula.
- Return pan to oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Spread remaining crumbs over top of baked filling and gently tamp down.
- Return to oven for 8 minutes.
- Allow crust to rest 2 to 3 mintues
- Pour remaining filling over second crust layer and return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Finally, remove from oven and allow to rest for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle half of the toasted coconut over filling and press in gently.
- Sprinkle remaining toasted coconut over top and refrigerate for 4 to 5 hours
- Remove from pan and cut into 25 squares.