Today I am sharing a recipe for pecan cinnamon rolls with pecan cream cheese frosting inspired by my Nana!
One of my favorite memories in my Nana’s kitchen is the little tiny cinnamon rolls she used to make. Coming from an era where you didn’t waste anything, and that included the scraps of pie crust leftover when she made her to-die-for apple pies! She used those “scraps” to make tiny little cinnamon rolls. I could have eaten them by the dozen!
Just like apples, Pecans are one of those things that reminds me of fall. These Pecan Caramel Pumpkin Muffins are another example of that!
For this recipe I used chopped pecans and the creamy pecan butter (which by the way is heavenly on toast!). The rolls are swirled with a blend of brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped pecans. The best part though is the frosting. I whipped cream cheese with the creamy pecan butter and some confectioners sugar and cinnamon.
Let’s just say Tim really, really, really loved them. Yes, that was really times three! One for every roll he ate!
Pin to make these Pecan Cinnamon Rolls later!
Trust me, these yummy rolls are perfect anytime of year. Not just in the autumn! You really should bake up a batch of these decadent pecan cinnamon rolls for breakfast this weekend. You can thank me later!
This is the only cinnamon roll recipe you will ever need! Pecans not your favorite? (don’t worry, I forgive you!) swap up the pecans and pecan butter for almonds and almond butter, or cashews and cashew butter!
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (approx 110 degrees)
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- FOR FILLING
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- FOR FROSTING
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup creamy pecan butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- splash of milk
- In a small saucepan heat milk, sugar, salt and butter over medium heat just until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in the bowl for stand mixer. Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs and 5 cups of the flour. Attache bowl to mixer and attache dough hook. Beat on low speed for 2 mintues.
- Continuing beating on low speed and add remanining flour 1/2 cup at a time. Mix for 2 mintues or until dough cleans the sides of the bowl. Continue to knead on low speed for 2 mintues.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean damp cloth and allow to rise in warm place until double in size (about an hour).
- Return mixing bowl to stand mixer and using the paddle attachement, beat all ingredients for the filling.
- When dough has doubled, punch down and turn out onto lightly floured surface. Roll out to approximately 10 by 24, spread filling on the rolled dough and roll up tightly along the long side.
- Trim ends and carefully cut into 21 slices using a sharp knife.
- Grease 1 9 x 13 and 1 8 inch square pan. Arrange 12 rolls in the large pan and 9 rolls in the small one. Cover and let rise 45 to 60 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 22 minutes or until tops are lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before frosting.
In the bowl of electric mixer beat cream cheese and pecan butter until smooth and fluffy. Add confectioners sugar, vanilla and splash of milk. Beat on high speed until well combined. Spread on slightly cooled rolls.
Be in the know! It may be a delicious recipe, a stunning tablescape, or decor tips to make your house a home! Simply click here to subscribe. I never sell or share your information, and you can unsubscribe at any time!
Until next time….