Who doesn’t love cheesecake?!
This Mascarpone Cheese with Balsamic Strawberries recipe comes from bon appetite desserts cookbook, which by the way is one of my favorites
I have always loved the combination of a really good, aged balsamic vinegar with sweets. I used a raspberry flavored balsamic vinegar and it really turned out well.
The crust is extra special. It is made with ground almond biscotti crumbs that are blended with butter and chilled prior to filling. Press the crumbs onto bottom of 9″ spring form pan that has been wrapped in a triple layer of tin foil.
2 pounds of cream cheese and 1/2 pound mascarpone cheese are blended with sugar and eggs to make the silky and creamy filling.
Pour the filling into the prepared crust, place the pan into a roasting pan and fill with water to halfway up sides of pan. I set the roasting pan on to the oven rack before adding water.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely before removing outer ring and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
Prepare berries 30 minutes prior to serving. Combine strawberries, balsamic and sugar, stirring every once and awhile.
There you have it! Mascarpone Cheesecake with Balsamic Strawberries!
Serve on a plate drizzled with some additional balsamic!
- 1 1/2 cup crumbs ground from almond biscotti
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 24 ounces good quality cream cheese such as Philadelphia brand
- 8 ounces of mascarpone cheese
- 1 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups hulled and quartered fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar, I used raspberry flavored balsamic
- Wrap 3 layers of heavy duty foil tightly around the outside of 9″ spring form pan.
- Process biscotti cookies in a food processor to crumbs. Stir in melted butter until moistened and press into bottom of prepared pan. Chill for thirty minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of electric mixer beat cream cheese, mascarpone cheese and 1/14 cups of the sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping down sides of bowl after each addition.
- Spoon cheese mixture over chilled crust and spread with an offset spatula.
- Place the cheesecake pan into a large roasting pan and fill with water to halfway up sides of cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for one hour before removing foil and outer ring. Chill in refrigerator overnight.
- minutes prior to serving mix strawberries with balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of sugar, stir occasionally.
- To serve slice with a sharp knife that has been wiped with a warm damp cloth between each slice. Pour berries over top or alongside the cheesecake.