Elevate your dessert game with these easy no-bake chocolate peanut butter marshmallow squares.
The combination of smooth, velvety chocolate and peanut butter paired with the chewy sweetness of the mini marshmallows make these no-bake squares irresistible!
Originally posted October 2012. Updated September 2023
Why you will love these
- easy to make with just 4 simple ingredients
- ready for the refrigerator in just 10-15 minutes
- the delicious combination of peanut butter and chocolate
- kids will love them
These irresistible squares are not only easy to make but also perfect for any occasion. Like our family favourites Grampies’ Favourite Squares they are perfect for the holiday season or any time of year.
4 ingredients you will need
- Chocolate – you can use whatever type of chocolate your prefer. I use either milk chocolate or semi -sweet chocolate chips, but chopped chocolate bars work just as well.
- Peanut Butter – good quality smooth peanut butter works best in this recipe. I have tried it with some store brand peanut butters in the past, but they don’t all seem to melt and blend with the chocolate as well as the more well known brands such as Kraft or Jif.
- Marshmallows – coloured or white mini marshmallows are the perfect size for this recipe.
- Butter – a bit of butter helps to blend together the chocolate and peanut butter to a velvety smooth texture.
Did I mention no mixer required?
All you need is a rubber spatula to make these chocolate peanut butter marshmallow squares.
You could even make these in one bowl! As long as you have a bowl that will nestle over a pot of simmering water to melt the chocolate and peanut butter together, and still be big enough to add the marshmallows, then one bowl is all that is required.
Some of my favourite recipes are those that don’t require any mixer. Muffins like these morning glory muffins are the perfect example!
I have always had the best results using a double boiler to melt chocolate. It is a gentle, slow way to get a smooth velvety texture without the risk of the chocolate seizing.
There are several different peanut free peanut butter spreads on the market today. Wowbutter is a popular brand, and contains no hydrogenated oils and no GMO ingredients.
An 8 inch square pan is best for these chocolate peanut butter marshmallow squares. You will get approximately 16 to 20 squares depending on the size you want them.
I have used both chocolate chips and chopped chocolate bars. The large Waterbridge chocolate bars from Walmart are excellent quality and inexpensive. Feel free to use semi-sweet or milk chocolate, which ever you prefer.
These squares firm up quite quickly, and should be ready in about 2 – 3 hours max. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Yes, you certainly can. Just be sure to bring them out to room temperature about an hour before you are ready to serve. A little longer if you like them on the softer side.
Elevate these delicious treats even further simply by melting 2 tablespoons of peanut butter in the microwave at 15 second increments until it is a smooth, runny consistency. Drizzle over bars and sprinkle with a tiny bit of course salt.
These chocolate peanut butter marshmallow squares are a delightful treat that combines the rich flavours of chocolate and peanut butter with the gooey sweetness of marshmallows. They are so easy to make and you can customize them by using different types of chocolate or drizzling them with peanut butter. Whether you have a sweet tooth or simply enjoy indulging in delicious treats, these yummy no-bake treats are sure to satisfy your cravings. So go ahead, whip up a batch of these yummy squares and enjoy every delicious bite.
- 1 package chocolate chips (milk chocolate or semi-sweet) or 10 ounces chopped chocolate
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place chocolate, peanut butter and butter in a large heatsafe bowl and place over a pot with 1-2 inches of simmerin water (be sure water does not touch bottom of the bowl)
- Stir with a rubber spatula until fully melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Fold in mini marshmallows until fully coated
- Spread into prepared pan and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until firm. Cut into squares.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.