Sunday was a nasty weather day that kept us indoors all day. Freezing rain for hours, changing over to drizzle for a bit before switching to snow over night. Perfect day to spend in the kitchen baking these simple eggnog cupcakes!
As much as I love baking for the holidays, I sometimes like to make a simple dessert that takes just a few minutes and few ingredients. These eggnog cupcakes require just a white cake mix, eggs, oil and eggnog!
Simply prepare the cake mix as per the package directions, substituting the milk (or water) called for with eggnog. The result is a light and fluffy cupcake with a subtle eggnog flavour.
The frosting is also flavoured with eggnog and whips up creamy, smooth and delicious. Christmas sprinkles and gold non-perils make for a festive finish!
And, can we talk about those cute cupcake cups? I found them at Home Sense, and they were only $4.99 for 50. Twenty-five each of plaid and red trucks.
Just don’t make the same mistake I did when I first made these cupcakes. I didn’t have any regular paper cupcake liners, so I figured I would just bake the cupcakes right in the cups. They are oven proof to 375 degrees, so why not.
Except, I overfilled them, and the batter bubbled up over the top and down the sides. Ugh! Still tasted good though!!
This time I baked the cupcakes in regular paper liners in cupcake tins and they turned out perfectly. After they were completely cool, I put them into the cups before frosting them.
I used a large star tip and a Wilton piping bag to frost these eggnog cupcakes before sprinkling on the sprinkles.
What a deliciously fun idea for a Christmas bake sale or bringing to a holiday pot luck.
These simple Eggnog Cupcakes are made with a boxed cake mix!
If you are looking for another easy, but yummy festive recipes, check out these Sweet Marie bars. I switched out regular krispie cereal for the holiday version, making them perfect for holidays!
You’ll find the recipe for these simple eggnog cupcakes below!
I sincerely appreciate you stopping by today and would love to have you come back often! Please consider subscribing to Red Cottage Chronicles. I will keep you up to date with an email whenever a new post goes live.
It could be flowers, a recipe, a stunning tablescape, or another fun project to make your house a home! Simply click here to subscribe. I never sell or share your information, and you can unsubscribe at any time!
Until next time…..
- White Cake Mix plus eggs and oil as required to prepare
- 1 1/2 cups eggnog, divided
- 7 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place cupcake liners into cupcake tin.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, substituting eggnog for the milk (or water).
- Fill cupcake liners halfway. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Why cupcakes are cooling, prepare frosting by adding butter to bowl of electric mixer. Mix until smooth. Add 4 cups confectioners sugar and 1/2 cup of eggnog. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping down sides as necessary. Add remaining confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well between each addition until desired consistency is achieved.
- When cupcakes are cool, fit piping bag with large star tip and fill bag with frosting. Pipe in a swirling pattern. Sprinkle the edges with festive edible sprinkles.