This recipe is one that I haven’t made in ages, but one of my favorites. I remember visiting Anna Olson’s bakery to buy a batch of these and after her bakery closed I was so happy when I came across the recipe on Cityline TV’s website. The crumbly soft shortbread surrounding a generous chunk of Toblerone Chocolate is heavenly. I have made it for bake sales, for Christmas parties and just for family and always gets rave reviews.
To begin add 1 cup softened butter to a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
Sift ½ cup + 2 tbsp confections sugar and add to butter, beat until fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl as need. To this mixture sift in ¼ cup cornstarch and mix to blend.
Sift in 1 ½ cups all purpose flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together. Stir in vanilla.
Scoop onto parchment lined baking sheet using a small scoop or 2 heaping teaspoons per cookie.
Press a chunk of Toblerone into centre of each shortbread. I cut each triangle into 3 pieces.
Top with a small piece of dough. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Mine were done after 15. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.
These freeze nicely, that is if you are able to get them from oven to freezer before they are all gone!
Tune in tomorrow for…….glazed lemon loaf
I have linked up here
I have also linked up here today. Lots of comfort food recipes.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp confectioners sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- chocolate nougat (such as Toblerone) chopped into large chunks
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Sift icing sugar and add to butter, beating again until fluffy, scraping down the sides of mixing bowl as needed.
- Sift in cornstarch and mix to blend in. Sift in all-purpose flour and salt and mix until dough comes together
- Stir in vanilla.
- Scoop onto parchment lined baking sheet using a small ice cream scoop or 2 heaping teaspoons per cookie.
- Press a small chunk of Toblerone into centre of each shortbread. Top with a small piece of dough pressing down lightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.