Here we are at the last Taste of Home Tuesday of January! Am I the only one who thinks the month has gone by way too fast? But we are one month closer to spring!
Although I am thankful I didn’t have to go through the blizzard that hit the US northeast this past weekend, I was a tiny bit jealous of the amount of snow they got. I live in Canada for gawd sake! I like our winter to have snow! Thankfully we did manage to have cold enough temperatures and a few flurries for the Ice Wine Festival to have another successful year!
Since Sunday was going to be a very busy day I wanted to pop something into the slow cooker and have it ready for dinner time. I picked this Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetable stew since I had everything on hand already, not to mention it looked pretty darn good.
We weren’t disappointed! It was full of flavour and the beef was cooked to a tender perfection. Big chunks of potato and baby carrots made it a real hearty meal. I had picked up a fresh baked loaf bread from the market and spread a bit of sweet creamy butter on top.
The perfect Sunday dinner for a cold winter day!
Here are a few of my tips to make prep even easier:
- use stewing beef that is already pre-cubed
- I buy large bags of pre-chopped frozen onion
- baby carrots are called for in this recipe, but using regular carrots thickly sliced would work just fine
- use a better quality tomato soup for a richer flavour
- when preparing the cornstarch thickener, use a jar with a tight fitting lid to shake up the cornstarch and water
You can find the recipe for Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetable Stew at here at www.tasteofhome.com. And while you are there, have a look around. Maybe you have a tried and true recipe that you would like to submit. You never know, it could end up in the pages of Taste of Home magazine!
Until next time….