There is something about winter and oatmeal that just go together!
Throw in some cranberries and we have ourselves a winter winner!!
One of the many recipe sites I frequent is myrecipes.com
This is were I found the recipe for these wonderful Cranberry-Oat Squares while I was searching for some healthy desert recipes. This recipe, originally published in Cooking Light November 2008, fit the bill!
One bowl for crust ingredients
One bowl for filling ingredients
A few tweaks here and there to suit my taste and you have one really good, fairly healthy, winter wonderbar!!
Today I am happy to be linking up at Not Your Ordinary Recipes!
Wishing you a sweet day
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp light margerine, softened
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup 5% sour cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp grated orange rind
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- To prepare crust:
- In a large bowl combine flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon
- Rub margarine into the dry ingredients until it resembles a crumbly mixture
- Add orange juice and combine well
- Reserve 1/2 cup and press the remainder into 8″ square pan coated that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Set aside while you prepare filling.
- To prepare filling:
- combine cranberries, sour cream, sugar, flour, vanilla, orange rind and egg
- stir well to thoroughly combine all ingredients
- Spread mixture over prepared crust
- Crumble reserved 1/2 cup of crust over the top of filling to cover as much as the filling as possible
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Cool on wire rack