These cup cakes from Better Homes and Gardens call for a raspberry liqueur to be used for flavoring of both the batter and the frosting, but since I was serving them at a barbecue with kids present I decided to improvise and make (Un)spiked raspberry lemonade cupcakes, flavoring it with raspberry jam and raspberry oil instead!
The lemony cake is moist and light. The raspberry frosting….I could have eaten by the spoonful!!
I snazzed them up a bit with some yellow and pink sprinkles and called it a day!
It is always best to allow your eggs and butter to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before beginning.
Begin by combining flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set this aside. (I didn’t photograph this step)
In the bowl of an electric mixer add butter and beat on high for about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl and then add sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice and 1/4 tsp raspberry oil (I got mine at Bulk Barn in Canada), the flavor is highly concentrated so a little goes a long way, beat on medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk, mixing on low speed until just combined after each addition.
Divide batter between 18 cupcake cups lined with paper liners.
Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes, until tester comes out clean.
To prepare frosting, place butter and 2 cups of the powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on medium high until well blended. Add 4 tablespoons of seedless raspberry jam, 1/8 teaspoon of raspberry oil and 4 tablespoons whole milk and beat for 30 seconds. Continue adding powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until desired consistency is achieved. I used 7 cups.
I used a #10 Wilton tip to swirl frosting atop each cupcake, but just spreading on with an off set spatula would work just fine.
Dust with sprinkles!
They really do taste just like raspberry lemonade!
(Un)spiked raspberry lemonade cupcakes
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon raspberry oil (or 2 tablespoons raspberry liqueur for spiked version)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- For Frosting…
- 3/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 7 to 7 1/2 cups powdered sugar, swifted
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam (or 2 tablespoons raspberry liqueur for spiked version)
- Set oven to 350 degrees and line 18 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of electric mixer beat butter on high for 30 seconds and scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice, and raspberry oil (or liqueur) and beat until combined. Scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating on low speed until combined between each addition.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks before removing from muffin cups to cool completely.
- For raspberry frosting….
- In the bowl of electric mixer butter with 2 cups of sifted powdered sugar until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add milk and raspberry jam and beat for about 30 seconds, until incorporated.
- Continue adding sifted powdered sugar one cup at a time, beating well after each addition until desired consistency is reached.
Foodie in WV says
They look so pretty! Perfect for a summer bbq 🙂
Thanks Foodie! They were gobbled up in no time!
Carrie This Home says
These cupcakes look so delicious! I’m sure the kids at the party loved them! Would you mind to link up this post to my blog hop? Our readers would love to see this. Thanks so much!
Thanks Carrie! I will pop over and add my link!
Miss Messy says
Yum! Raspberry frosting sounds fantastic! 😀
These are lovely! The recipe sounds as good as they look. What a perfect summer treat. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Have a wonderful week! Love,Wanda
Your pictures are always so beautiful. These cupcakes look wonderful. I love anything lemon-y and I’m sure the raspberry just made it more delicious.
Jeanie @ create&babble says
These look incredible! And the photos are gorgeous!
Miz Helen says
Your Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes look amazing, wish I had one right now. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for sharing!
How absolutely beautiful! I bet these stunning cupcakes were a real treat with the kids at the BBQ! Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers! Please be sure to stop back by the party and check out some of the other links!
Lori @ A Bright and Beautiful Life says
Maureen~~ These look delicious, as usual. And gorgeous, as usual. The combo of lemon and raspberry sounds like a wonderfully refreshing dessert in this hot summer weather we’re having. By the way, what is raspberry oil? I’ve never heard of it.
Thank you Lori! Raspberry oil is basically an essential oil, which I find at the bulk food store in the flavoring and extracts section. It is a highly concentrated flavoring and comes in a variety of flavors.