When putting together my Canada Day Dessert Buffet I knew I wanted to add some Canada inspired cookies, but didn’t want plain sugar cookie or shortbread. I decided to make these chocolate chip cookies with a Canadian twist!
The chocolate chip cookie recipe is actually from the butter flavor Crisco box and makes a soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie every time!
While they do loose their shape a bit with baking, the red fondant maple leave on top actually helps to define the shape of the cookie.
Begin by creaming 1/2 cup golden (butter) flavor Crisco and 1 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg, 2 tablespoons milk and 1 tablespoon vanilla and beat until well blended, about 1 minute. In a separate bowl combine 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon baking soda. Add to creamed mixture and blend on low speed just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Wrap dough in parchment or plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
While the dough is chilling, color a ball of fondant red. Roll to about a 1/8 inch thickness and cut using the maple leaf cookie cutter.
When dough is sufficiently chilled, remove from fridge and roll out on floured surface, dusting the dough with flour will help the dough from sticking! The chocolate chips will dictate the thickness of the rolled dough. Using a maple leaf cookie cutter, cut into shapes and bake in a 375 degree oven for 9 to 11 minutes.
Cool completely on wire rack. Using a bit of frosting attach a fondant maple leaf to each cookie!
I brushed a few with some pearl powder for a shimmery effect!
HAPPY CANADA DAY!!
- 3/4 cup Crisco Golden (butter flavored) shortening
- 1 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate chips)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cream shortening and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes
- Add egg, milk and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly blended (about 1 minute)
- In a separate bowl combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture gradually, beating on low speed just until combined.
- At this point you can drop dough by heaping spoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 9 to 11 minutes.
- chill dough for a minimum of 2 hours. Remove from fridge, roll dough on floured surface, dusting lightly with flour and cut into desired shape. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes and then top with fondant designs.