There are three things that Canada is known for when it comes to food. Poutine, Nanimo Bars and Butter Tarts!
While I have heard these sweet, buttery tarts are a bit more popular in Eastern Canada with butter tart festivals throughout “Cottage Country” in Ontario, they are known all over the country. One of the biggest festivals is in Midland, with more than 50,000 butter tarts being sold!
A traditional Canadian butter tart is made with butter, eggs, brown sugar and syrup. Pecans or raisins are often added to the tart shell before pouring in the filling.
The filling has been adapted by some to include pumpkin, chocolate, apple or even Nutella.
I prefer to keep it old school and stick the traditional version. Although, these maple butter tarts are pretty darn good too.
This recipe is the one I make the most. We prefer a “firmer” filling, while some like their filling a bit runnier. Raisins are the most popular add in, but pecans win hands down in our house!
These delicious tarts will satisfy even the sweetest of sweet tooths!
Try them warm straight from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Bliss!
Until next time….
- 18 3" frozen tart shells (thawed)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup golden corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon regular vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange tart shells on a cookie tray lined with parchment and place a few pecan halves in each.
- In a large bowl mix brown sugar, syrup and melted butter with a whisk until well blended.
- Add eggs, vinegar and vanilla and whisk until smooth; pour mixture into a large measuring cup with a pour spout.
- Pour filling over pecans, filling each tart shell to the top.
- Bake for 5 minutes and reduce heat to 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- You can substitute raisins for the pecans if you wish.
- Store in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days or freeze for up to a month.
Check out all these “regional specialties” my friends are sharing at our #SundaySupper event!
Thanks to Sue from A Palatable Pastime for hosting!
- Crispy Salmon Bites with Homemade Tartar Sauce by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Loaded Tex-Mex Chile con Queso by The Weekend Gourmet
- New England Style Stuffed Clams by Caroline’s Cooking
- Brandy Old Fashioned by Curious Cuisiniere
- Wine Pairing Recommendations For #SundaySupper Regional Specialties by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Breakfast Empanada Casserole by Simply Healthy Family
- Pittsburgh Steak Salad by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Homemade Ranch Dressing by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Tupelo Honey Key Lime Vinaigrette by Family Around the Table
- Alabama White Barbecue Sauce by Cookin’ Mimi
- Delaware Crabs by Delaware Girl Eats
- JoJo Potatoes by A Mind Full Mom
- Long Beans with Coconut by Food Lust People Love
- Old Bay Cauli-Tots by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Southern Collard Greens by Magnolia Days
- Amish Chicken and Noodles by Palatable Pastime
- Boiled Lobster with Drawn Butter by Taste And See
- Bison Steaks with Cranberry Chimichurri by Tramplingrose
- California Beer Steamed Shrimp by Nosh My Way
- Avocado BLT Sandwich by Brunch-n-Bites
- Cali Inspired Fish Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Tex Mex Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Cola Marinated Steak Tips by Hardly a Goddess
- Corn and Bacon Chowder by Moore or Less Cooking
- Crab-Stuffed Artichokes with Spicy Aioli by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Deep Fried Pizza Roll by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Halal Cart-Style Chicken and Rice with White Sauce by The Texan New Yorker
- Copycat Hattie B’s Hot Chicken by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Homemade Quebec Maple Baked Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- How to Make Vegetable Lumpia by Asian In America
- Italian Hot Dog by Simple and Savory
- Mom’s City Chicken by My Life Cookbook
- North Carolina BBQ with Cole Slaw and Hush Puppies by The Freshman Cook
- Philly Cheesesteak Calzones by Baking Sense
- Polish Boy Sandwich by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Spicy Salmon for Tacos by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Tex-Mex Slowcooker Chicken and Beef Fajitas by Meal Planning Magic
- West Michigan Wet Burritos by Wholistic Woman
- Upside Down Angel Food Cupcakes by Cooking With Carlee
- Austrian Mohnnudeln (Poppy Seed Noodles) by The Bread She Bakes
- Butter Tarts – A Canadian Tradition by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Carob Cherry Crumb Bars by Pies and Plots
- Florida Key Lime Cream Pie by The Crumby Cupcake
- Fried Biscuits by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Gooey Butter Cake from Saint Louie! by Our Good Life
- Homemade Butterscotch Krimpets by The Redhead Baker
- San Jose Burnt Almond Cake by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Shoofly Pie by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Bar Cake by Get the Good Stuff!
- Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Plus Rhubarb Steamed Pudding and Favorite Regional Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement