Between the middle of April and the end of May we have 7 immediate family member birthdays and of course Mother’s Day. Trying to find new ideas for cakes can be a bit tricky. Some of us have our favourites while others aren’t fussy as long as there is cake! Throw in a couple of vegan’s, and things get a little more challenging!
When it comes to Mother’s Day I like to make something really special that everyone can enjoy. What better than a decadent Chocolate cake with a rich fudgy chocolate frosting that just happens to be vegan friendly!
When I came across this recipe for chocolate cake it caught my attention immediately. Made with Vanilla Almond Beverage from Almond Breeze, it calls for absolutely no dairy products or eggs.
But, exactly how moist and flavourful could it possibly be?
Well I can assure you it is moist, rich, and full of chocolaty flavour. I would challenge anyone to notice that it wasn’t a conventional chocolate cake made with eggs and milk!
To ensure this was a vegan chocolate cake, I was careful to use semi-sweet chocolate chips that are known to be vegan friendly so everyone in the family can enjoy a slice.
The recipe is for a single layer cake but easily doubles to make a two layer cake, and if you double the frosting recipe as well you will have enough frosting to easily frost a two layer cake with a little left over to eat straight from the spoon!
For even more delicious recipes visit Almond Breeze by clicking here!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted in liquid form)
- 1 cup Almond Breeze Vanilla Almond Beverage
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Almond Breeze Vanilla Almond Beverage
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted, in liquid form)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line 8" cake pan with parchment paper
- In a large mixing bowl sift together all dry ingredients. Mix well until incorporated
- Add Almond Breeze and coconut oil and whisk until well incorporated. Then add vinegar and keep whisking until smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Transfer batter to prepared cake pan(s) and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- The frosting is best pepared right before you are ready to frost the cake.
- To prepare frosting, melt chocolate chips in a bowl placed over a pot of simmering water until smooth, slowly whisk in Almond Breeze until incorporated. Pour in coconut oil and whisk until well combined. Remove from the bowl from double boiler. Whisk in the icing sugar, a half cup at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Using an off set spatula frost the cake starting on the top and spreading down over the sides.
- Decorate with fresh fruit or a sprinkling of icing sugar.
- If you want to ensure the cake is vegan friendly be sure to choose semi-sweet chocolate chips that are suitable for vegans or use a 80% dark chocolate bar chopped to measure 1 cup. Be sure to read the labels to ensure there are no milk products added to the chocolate.