I have been holding on to a copy of What’s Cooking magazine from Kraft for over a year now, with the notion to make the Rainbow Layer Cake pictured on the cover.
It is the spring 2014 issue, but when I first saw it I thought it would make an essential summertime layer cake. So bright and colorful. And fun! just like summertime!
Made with Jell-O brand jelly powder in orange, lime, raspberry and blueberry each layer has a subtle fruity flavor and a vibrant summertime colour.
Baking cakes is a favorite of mine, as it gives me a chance to use the very best things I inherited from my Nana’s kitchen.
Her Bake King round baking pans! They are worn with a patina only lots of use and age can give them, yet they still work like a charm! Nothing sticks to these babies given the release “tab” that rotates under the cake to release it when it is cool.
I have seen them around on Ebay, sometimes with a textured bottom, but also exactly as these ones! They are worth their weight in gold!
The cake I made as per the directions exactly, but in hindsight I think I would make a couple of changes next time.
While the recipe calls for two cake mixes, each divided in half and coloured a different colour. This makes for a very, very tall cake!
I am talking 7 inches tall! That is more than a half foot of cake!
I mean, you may like a really tall cake and that is perfectly okay! Kind of elegant really. If that is the case, just follow the recipes exactly.
I think next time I will reduce the amount of cake batter in each cake pan by about a third and make cupcakes with the rest!
The frosting is pure heaven! Sour cream, icing sugar and whipped topping. I made a batch and a half.
Now that I think about it, a 7 inch tall cake makes for more frosting. Maybe that isn’t so bad after all!
Until next time…..
- 2 pkg (2 layer size) white cake mixes + ingredients to prepare
- 3 Tbsp each Jell-O jelly powder in raspberry, orange, lime and Berry Blue flavors
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup icing sugar
- 1 tub Cool Whip whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and flour 2 9″ round baking pans
- Prepare cake batter from 1 pkg as directed. Pour half into a separate bowl.
- Add raspberry Jell-O powder to batter in one bowl and mix well. Stir orange Jell-O powder into the other bowl and mix well.
- Pour each better into a prepared pan and bake for 28 to 30 minutes.
- Cool cake in pans for 15 minutes before turning out onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat the above steps with the remaining cake mix and two Jell-O powders.
- Mix Sour Cream and sugar in a bowl with wire whisk until well blended, gently fold in whipped topping.
- Stack layers on a cake plate, spreading 1/3 cup frosting between each layer.
- Frost the entire cake with remaining frosting and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
You can find a short video from Kraft on how to prepare the cake here!