If you are a lover of peanut butter, raise your hand! I love this recipe because the cookies it produces are soft and chewy and bursting with peanut butter honey flavor. I always remember my mom letting me press the peanut butter cookies down with a fork dipped in water, and that is exactly what you do with these ones. These go perfectly with a glass of cold milk or a cup of hot chocolate. I mean really, is there anything better than chocolate and peanut butter together!
Recipe adapted from Great Cookies..Secrets to Sensational Sweets
Begin by sifting together 1 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of electric mixer, or using a hand mixer, mix 1 cup honey roasted (or regular chunk style) peanut butter, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup shortening and 2 tbsp honey until well combined.
Keeping mixer on medium speed add 1/2 cup sugar followed by 1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed. Continue mixing for 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
Add the egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in a slow stream. Mix just until incorporated. Fold 1/2 cup coarsely chopped honey-roasted peanuts into the batter and refrigerate until firm enough to handle (approximately 1 hour).
Roll into balls about the size of large walnuts and place on parchment lined baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between to allow for spread.
Using a fork dipped in water, press a criss cross pattern into each ball to flatten it down. Don’t flatten too much, use a light touch.
Bake in a 350 degree oven with the racks positioned in the upper and lower thirds for 11 to 13 minutes. Rotate pans from top to bottom and front to back after 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on cookie sheet for a minute or two before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
These cookies freeze well, so why not bake a double batch!
Tune in tomorrow for…..Coconut Crusted Key Lime Napoleons!
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup honey-roasted peanut butter (or regular chunk style peanut butter)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (or more if you wish) coarsely chopped honey-roasted peanuts
- Swift together first 4 (dry) ingredients and set aside
- Beat together peanut butter, butter, shortening and honey until well combined
- On medium speed add white sugar, followed by brown sugar and continue to beat for 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl as needed
- Add egg and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes, mixture will lighten in color
- Turning speed to low, slowly add flour mixture and mix just until combined
- Fold in the chopped nuts
- Refrigerate batter for approximately 1 hour or until firmer and easy to handle
- Roll into 1 1/4 inch ball and place on parchment lined baking sheets, leave 2 inches between for spreading
- Using a fork dipped in water, make a criss cross pattern to slightly flatten each ball.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 11 to 13 minutes
I have linked up here today to share my recipe on Kati’s baking blog